Tuesday 19 February 2013

Overcoming Anxiety Webcast



I took part in my first ever webcast yesterday evening, joining Anxiety Social Net founders Talha and Saloman for their Overcoming Anxiety series, to talk about my experiences with depression and how I overcame it with the use of present awareness/mindfulness.

It was a daunting prospect and, as I joked with the guys, caused me quite a bit of anxiety in the run up to going live, but I had a really good time. They’re both great hosts and helped put me at ease before and during the recording – also saving me a few times when my mind when completely blank mid-sentence.

I hope, if you didn’t get the chance to see it last night, you can have a view on YouTube, here:


(I’m looking rather tubby in that video, but considering I had major chest surgery four months ago and have barely moved in three of those months, it’s cool with me, and also fits neatly in with the refreshed impetus to get super-fit and manfoxly by the Summer – something I’ll be blogging about in the next few days.)

You can follow Anxiety Social Net at: @AnxietySocial

Their website is:


And please check out the other videos in the series:


Saloman:


James & Misty:


Kevin Patton:


Tarryn:


Shira:

9 comments:

  1. Gutsy video. I hope you are doing better each day. I personally have felt the pain of suicide. MY son died when he was only 21. He was a 3rd yr Sports Management major at Kent State University. It took my families by surprise. We can't find anyone in our families that have comitted suicide, or suffered from depression. It was a shock and a pain that never goes away for me. I try to move on but he is always in my heart I think of him every day and wonder what I did wrong Someday maybe I will get to find out why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Present awareness and mindfulness is a wonderful way to treat depression Les. I use it myself, and I used it in my mental health practice before I retired. Very, very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing, Les. I've heard one somewhat similar story of an individual being moved from a near lifetime battle of personal challenges and that was Lulu Roman. She had some very serious issues and was delivered miraculously. She began her spiritual musical journey after that to share her testimony. I've not heard you say "ministry," but do consider you are on a mission to share a testimony and help people. Many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Les, thrilled to see you here. SO proud of you! xoxo
    eden

    ReplyDelete
  5. Les, thanks with all my heart for speaking out. It takes great courage to do so. I've been out of the game of life for 11 years now.

    Once a writer, I've lost that too. Seems all I can write about is the loss of my career, friends, family, faith. When I do share my experience with people, I'm so sad that if they've not been here, they will not understand me.

    So I tell few people about my depression and the terror of watching the life I worked so hard to build just ... evaporate.

    Some days it seems I'm already dead but no one's told me.

    We isolate. We imagine that someone like you (for instance)would never succumb to this fate.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you for sharing your experience, Les. I have followed your blog for some time now and find your words and advice very uplifting. I wish you all the best, my friend. Keep fighting the good fight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. DAMNIT. That's it. I'm subscribing to your blog. I can't believe I missed this too. You know I would have watched. Grrr. It's almost 3AM, but I am coming back tomorrow and I will catch it then. Sorry again about the loss of your mum. A wee concerned about something I read in another one of your blogs about the possibility of homelessness. I truly hope that was a hypothetical... XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quite moving and courageous. Blessings, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. To Miqel
    I can only imagine that friends and family distance themselves because they are afraid of how dangerous depression can be. Cannot say I understand but I believe you will never find a depressed person who is evil. May be little comfort but there you are.

    ReplyDelete